The Radio Equalizer: Brian Maloney

05 June 2008

Questions Raised About Laura Ingraham's Radio Future

TAKING A WALK?

Laura Ingraham's Radio Absence Creates Speculation







After an unexplained radio absence and a cryptic message from one of her producers, speculation is building that syndicated radio talker Laura Ingraham may have at least temporarily stepped away from her program. It has been carried on hundreds of stations across the country.

Worried listeners have already begun to email your Radio Equalizer, while attempts to confirm her possible departure from the Talk Radio Network- distributed show are met with a peculiar silence. Will Laura return at some point, or has she already moved on?

When yours truly contacted a number of people who might have information on her status, some seemed caught off-guard, while others would neither confirm nor deny the news.

An email sent directly to Ingraham was not met with a response and her own website doesn't even admit that she's been away from the program in recent days.

Because Ingraham faced cancer in the past, one might be quick to wonder if this is health- related. But given her frequent FOX News Channel appearances this week, that doesn't seem likely this time.

One theory is that there is some sort of contractual dispute with the Talk Radio Network, a syndication firm based in Oregon. Could Ingraham be ready to depart for another network, or move directly into television?


A key clue has actually come from a roundabout source: a guest who was scheduled to appear on her program this week received a cryptic email from her producer. Donny Pauling then posted the email from Ingraham assistant Tom Elliot on his own website:


From: Tom Elliott
To: Donny Pauling, Craig Gross
Date: Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 3:48 PM
Subject: Tomorrow

Hey, guys –

Bad news. We’re going to have to take a rain check on tomorrow’s segment. I’m unable to provide a lot of detail, but the short story is that Laura will not be hosting the Laura Ingraham show for the foreseeable future. This just developed over the weekend, so I apologize for the late notice. Could someone please contact Ron, or should I? Whatever’s easiest. (I don’t have an email address, and don’t really want to bother him on a Sunday.)

I do hope we’ll still be able to air this segment; it likely will just have to wait a little while.

Thanks,

Tom

Tom Elliott
Executive Producer
The Laura Ingraham Show


A check of Ingraham's staff roster confirms that Elliot serves as her executive producer.

Meanwhile, fill-in hosts including Tammy Bruce have temporarily assumed the slot.

As soon as we hear anything further, this post will be updated.


JOHNNY DOLLAR has video of Laura's appearance with Greta on FNC.


Your Honor System contributions keep this site humming along. Thanks again!


Technorati tags:

21 Comments:

  • It wouldn't bother me too much if she gave up her radio show.

    She is depressing to listen to and I think all she ever wants to do is win a pissin' contest with whoever she is 'discussing' a topic with.

    Sadly, her replacement the last two days has been even worse (that woman).

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 05 June, 2008 01:04  

  • Brian,
    Laura's website does now acknowledge that she is not on the radio lately but doesn't give reasons. I am a Laura 365er and have privately emailed her: stay tuned.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 05 June, 2008 07:16  

  • That's because she will be John McCain's running mate... (let's hope)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 05 June, 2008 09:21  

  • Laura's been very involved with the recent adoption of her very young daughter from Guatemala and I'm hoping that her absence is no more ominous than having to deal with details from that.

    Laura, I don't know if you'll ever read this but consider this a Valentine from a family man who admires you greatly and thanks you for the positive influence you've had on my now-13 year old daughter.

    You are gutsy and savvy. You have persevered and endured. I pray that whatever is keeping you away from the listeners that love you and your show is yet another thing that you can handle with the strength and grace that has been the hallmark of your profession and life. Whatever it is, we're thinking of you and wish you the best. Know that your fans are always behind you no matter what.

    With admiration, love, respect, and warmth,

    Princetrumpet

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 05 June, 2008 09:48  

  • I hope it's not long lasting. Drive time out west is NOT the same without Laura, although we love Tammy

    By Blogger OPechanga, at 05 June, 2008 10:32  

  • Someone on Free Republic mentioned they heard today's fill in host,
    Monica Crowley, say that "Laura is
    fine"

    By Blogger raccoonradio, at 05 June, 2008 11:05  

  • Last month there was a story that Laura adopted a little girl from Guatemala.

    That may well be the reason for her absence.

    Check it out.

    http://www.prolifeblogs.com/articles/archives/2008/05/laura_ingraham.php

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 05 June, 2008 11:05  

  • Looks like Laura's keeping things moving and shaking with her email blasts. I've gotten more email from her in the last few days than I have in quite awhile. Which is good as I've missed the email.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 05 June, 2008 13:59  

  • Well, I for one hope her health is O.K. i detest her radio show and her "viewpoints", but i don't wish ill on anyone..

    unlike those on the right who giggle with glee when a Ted Kennedy fell ill

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 05 June, 2008 14:50  

  • This is something I never saw coming. Now I know Laura is delayed on WABC in New York, but that I don't think has anything to do with this.


    And to think she was honored by Talkers magazine as Woman of The Year.


    Tammy Bruce is a capable host, but I think she comes off whining a bit having heard her on the radio and her appearances on Fox News Channel. But that's just me.


    Like I said I never saw this one coming.

    By Blogger The Real Bob Anthony, at 05 June, 2008 18:14  

  • MNSBC IS KICKING IN THE RATINGS

    LIB LIB LIB

    http://tvbythenumbers.com/2008/06/05/cable-news-ratings-for-wednesday-june-4/4048#more-4048
    LOOK AT OLBY VS BILLDO'


    HAHA EMPIRE FALLING FAUX NEWS barely #1

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 05 June, 2008 21:05  

  • I listen to Laura daily -- and I'm really over the guest hosts. I really think she should say at least something to her loyal listeners. She looks happy and healthy on Fox, so what is up? Please, put in someone with a normal voice who doesn't whine. How about Jerry Doyle? Mark Steyn? As a 365er, I feel cheated, and I won't listen again until she's back.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 06 June, 2008 09:41  

  • Come back Laura!

    Tammy Bruce should NEVER host the show again. She is terrible! Monica Crowley (I believe that is her name) is much better. The guy who was on Tuesday is good. I would enjoy Mark Steyn.

    Signed,
    North of 50 in Ohio

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 06 June, 2008 20:34  

  • I think I may have the answer for Laura's absence. According to DCRTV.com, 630 WMAL in Washington, DC (where Laura's home is) is apparently changing their lineup, and appears to be signing Laura. Farid Suleman and ABC radio are probably trying to sign Laura to their network and make WMAL here flagship. This would be a big boost for WMAL, and could also keep ABC radio networks talk programming alive if Sean Hannity were to depart.

    I believe that Citadel and Laura are trying to get this deal finalized this week in time for her to make the announcement as she accepts the Talk Radio Woman of the Year Award at the Talkers Convention this weekend.

    Stay tuned for more details!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 06 June, 2008 23:26  

  • Any news Brian?
    I know tonight she received her much deserved award from Talkers Mag - but the natives (her 365'ers) are getting increasingly restless.
    Actually, Tammy Bruce or Jerry Doyle would be fantastic. Laura, at least fill the folks in..vacation, TRN issues - a statement. I have had more eblasts from her in three days than I have had in three years!!
    Well, I will just listen elsewhere (unless it's Tammy) until you or if you come back.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 07 June, 2008 23:31  

  • Laura was just awarded the "Judy Jarvis Memorial Award" for Outstanding
    Contributions by a Woman to Talker Radio at the Talkers convention in NYC on 6/7/08

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 08 June, 2008 21:28  

  • Laura's website now has the following:

    IMPORTANT NOTE TO LAURA LISTENERS:
    Due to contractual obligations, for the present time I am unable to reveal why I am not currently hosting The Laura Ingraham Show. Rest assured, this absence is not of my choosing, nor is it health or family related. I am ready, willing and eager to continue the conversation we started seven years ago about politics and the culture. (Heck, if cancer couldn't keep me off the airwaves for long, nothing will.) Keep checking the site for a schedule of my appearances on the Fox News Channel. All queries regarding my on-air status should be directed to Talk Radio Network's management at 541 474 2297 or send an email. http://www.talkradionetwork.com/corporatecontacts Thanks for sticking with me, and...POWER TO THE PEOPLE!

    By Blogger Skipper50, at 09 June, 2008 12:44  

  • Hey Brian,
    Laura's radio program was "live" on KOL 1300 radio out of Seattle, but beginning this a.m. was replaced by the Mike Gallagher program.

    I hate to see Laura go...she'll probably turn up on television!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10 June, 2008 10:30  

  • It could be the cancer. May the Lords will be done.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11 June, 2008 06:12  

  • I have listened to Laura daily for a few years now and I have become annoyed at the fact that she just kind of vanished from radio. I do hope that her health is good though. I don't know, it just seems like of rude to leave your listeners wondering what's up.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12 June, 2008 23:03  

  • July 7, 2008

    Subject: Laura on "Just In" TV Show.

    I saw Laura on Fox News TV show last week. It was called "Just In" and aired at 5:00 pm east coast time.

    Today and on July 4th, I didn't see it. Has anyone information as to the Status of the Fox News TV show, "Just In?"

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 07 July, 2008 18:17  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 
Page Rank Checker

Powered by Blogger