The Radio Equalizer: Brian Maloney

15 January 2005

Dreaming of the Sacred Cod

Friday brought a visit the State House (the one on Beacon Hill in Boston, I don't even want to look at Olympia for the moment) and I realized what a dreamer I can really be sometimes.

I thought about the day when the Sacred Cod, the carved fish that has hung in the Mass House of Representatives since 1784, would one day be switched to the opposite direction.

What does this mean? The current cod position signifies Democrat control of the state house, if the GOP were to ever retake control of the chamber, the fish would face the other way. No significant House sessions can take place unless the cod is present. The Senate counterpart is the Holy Mackerel.

Wow, I really was dreaming!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



 
Page Rank Checker

Powered by Blogger